This process is used to approve encroachments into a public right-of-way. This includes structures (i.e. buildings, overhangs, fences, etc.) as well as private underground utilities (except irrigation systems).
- Public right-of-way that is dedicated to or maintained by the City of High Point.
Approvals or Permits Issued
- Approval of a right-of-way encroachment by City Council or Technical Review Committee (TRC), as applicable.
- The applicant submits an application, supplemental documents and fee
- Projects are assigned a Case Manager to act as the point of contact and assist with managing the project through the process.
- Plans are reviewed by an interdepartmental team with expertise in planning, transportation, utilities, stormwater, land-disturbance and other environmental areas. This review is in accordance with adopted Regulations and Policies.
- Comments are returned to the applicant. The applicant addresses any unresolved issues and re-submits for review.
- If the proposal is for an underground encroachment, TRC may approve, approve with conditions, or deny the application.
- If the proposal is for an above ground encroachment, the proposal is forwarded to the next available City Council meeting.
- After consideration of the requests, City Council may approve, approve with conditions, or deny the application.
- Completed Right-of-Way Encroachment Application (PDF) submitted to the Development Services Center or online through Accela Citizen Access (ACA).
- Request review fees
- A written legal description of area of encroachment is required after TRC review and prior to approval by TRC or City Council, as applicable.
- An encroachment agreement is prepared by legal staff for recordation in the applicable County Register of Deeds.
- Application fee is due at time of submittal
- See the Development Fee Schedule (PDF) for specific fees
- Payment types accepted: Cash, Discover, MasterCard, Visa and Check or Money Order payable to the City of High Point
- Online (ACA) payment types accepted: Cash, Discover, MasterCard, Visa and E-check