A zoning variance provides relief from the dimensional standards of the Development Ordinance, such as setback requirements, structure height, lot coverage or similar numerical standards. To receive a variance, the applicant must demonstrate that the literal interpretation of the ordinance standards would result in a unique and undue hardship, and that the relief requested would not be contrary to the public interest.
Expected Processing Time
- A Pre-Application Conference is required prior to submitting an application for a variance.
Approvals or Permits Issued
- A variance is approved by a four-fifths majority vote of the Board of Adjustment.
- The applicant submits an application, supplemental documents and fee.
- Applications are assigned a Case Manager to act as the point of contact and assist with managing it through the process.
- Staff reviews the application and notifies the applicant of any deficiencies. Once deemed complete, a variance application is placed in review and scheduled for the next regular meeting of the Board of Adjustment (BOA), if filed by the application deadline.
- Public notice of the application is provided by first class mailed notice, published notice and posted signs prior to the BOA public hearing.
- A staff report is prepared and provided, along with the appeal application, to the Board of Adjustment prior to the hearing.
- At the public hearing, the Board will hear from staff, the applicant, and any others with standing who want to speak on the matter.
- After all testimony is received, the Board of Adjustment will deliberate and render its decision, usually before adjournment of the meeting.
- A written Order of the Board, that formalizes the Board’s decision, is prepared, signed and delivered to the applicant.
- Completed Variance Application (PDF) submitted to the Planning and Development Department or online through Accela Citizen Access (ACA)
- Application fee
- The application must address in writing each of the required findings for granting a variance, describing how the requested relief meets them
- Photographs, drawings, plats, other correspondence, etc. that depict or help explain or support the variance argument
- If submitting on ACA, attach a completed Board Action Application Signature Form (PDF).
- Monetary hardship (the fact that it might cost more to comply with the ordinance) is not grounds for the granting of a variance, nor is a simple desire or convenience.
Expected Processing Time
- Within 2 business days of receipt of an application the Planning & Development Department will determine whether an application is complete or incomplete.
- If the application is incomplete, then the applicant will be notified within those 2 business days with a written list of application deficiencies.
- If the application is complete, then it shall be considered submitted.
- Approximately 24 business days from the monthly submittal deadline to the hearing and potential decision.
- Application fee is due at time of submittal
- See the Development Fee Schedule (PDF) for specific fees
- Payment types accepted: Cash, Discover, MasterCard, Visa and Check or Money Order payable to the City of High Point
- Online (ACA) payment types accepted: Cash, Discover, MasterCard, Visa and E-check