The text amendment process enables an applicant to request changes in the text of the City’s Development Ordinance which establishes the requirements for land development and use.
Expected Processing Time
- A Pre-Application Conference is required within 3 months prior to making application for a text amendment.
Approvals or Permits Issued
- Approval of a text amendment is by ordinance adopted by the City Council
- The applicant submits an application, supplemental documents and fee.
- Applications are assigned a Case Manager to act as the point of contact and assist with managing it through the process.
- Staff reviews the application and notifies the applicant of any deficiencies. Once deemed complete, a text amendment application is placed in review and scheduled for the next regular meeting of the Planning and Zoning Commission, if filed by the application deadline.
- Public notice of the application is provided by published notice prior to the Planning and Zoning Commission public hearing and the City Council public hearing.
- A staff report is prepared and provided to the Planning and Zoning Commission.
- At the Planning and Zoning Commission public hearing, the Commission will hear from staff, the applicant and other members of the public who want to speak on the matter.
- After the public hearing, the Planning and Zoning Commission will make a recommendation to the City Council to approve, approve with changes, or deny the text amendment.
- Following the City Council public hearing, the Council will approve, approve with changes, or deny the text amendment. The applicant will receive written notice of the decision.
- Completed Text Amendment Application (PDF) submitted to the Planning and Development Department or online through Accela Citizen Access (ACA).
- Application fee
- A draft of the changes proposed, including deletions and additions.
- If submitting on ACA, attach a completed Board Action Application Signature Form (PDF).
- Your draft should reference the section(s) of the ordinance you wish to change. You do not have to prepare your proposed changes in ordinance format; staff will prepare an ordinance draft based on your proposed changes.
Expected Processing Time
- Within 2 business days of receipt of an application the Planning & Development Department will determine whether an application is complete or incomplete.
- If the application is incomplete, then the applicant will be notified within those 2 business days with a written list of application deficiencies.
- If the application is complete, then it shall be considered submitted.
- Approximately 50 business days from the monthly submittal deadline to the City Council public hearing and potential decision.
- Application fee is due at time of submittal
- See the Development Fee Schedule (PDF) for specific fees
- Payment types accepted: Cash, Discover, MasterCard, Visa and Check or Money Order payable to the City of High Point
- Online (ACA) payment types accepted: Cash, Discover, MasterCard, Visa and E-check