- Board Action
- Text Amendment
The text amendment process enables an applicant to request changes in the text of the City’s Development Ordinance which establishes the requirements for land development and use.
Expected Processing Time
- A Pre-Application Conference is required within 3 months prior to making application for a text amendment.
Approvals or Permits Issued
- Approval of a text amendment is by ordinance adopted by the City Council
- The applicant submits an application, supplemental documents and fee.
- Applications are assigned a Case Manager to act as the point of contact and assist with managing it through the process.
- Staff reviews the application and notifies the applicant of any deficiencies. Once deemed complete, a text amendment application is placed in review and scheduled for the next regular meeting of the Planning and Zoning Commission, if filed by the application deadline.
- Public notice of the application is provided by published notice prior to the Planning and Zoning Commission public hearing and the City Council public hearing.
- A staff report is prepared and provided to the Planning and Zoning Commission.
- At the Planning and Zoning Commission public hearing, the Commission will hear from staff, the applicant and other members of the public who want to speak on the matter.
- After the public hearing, the Planning and Zoning Commission will make a recommendation to the City Council to approve, approve with changes, or deny the text amendment.
- Following the City Council public hearing, the Council will approve, approve with changes, or deny the text amendment. The applicant will receive written notice of the decision.
- Completed Text Amendment Application (PDF) submitted to the Planning and Development Department or online through Accela Citizen Access (ACA).
- Application fee
- A draft of the changes proposed, including deletions and additions.
- If submitting on ACA, attach a completed Board Action Application Signature Form (PDF).
- Your draft should reference the section(s) of the ordinance you wish to change. You do not have to prepare your proposed changes in ordinance format; staff will prepare an ordinance draft based on your proposed changes.
Expected Processing Time
- Within 2 business days of receipt of an application the Planning & Development Department will determine whether an application is complete or incomplete.
- If the application is incomplete, then the applicant will be notified within those 2 business days with a written list of application deficiencies.
- If the application is complete, then it shall be considered submitted.
- Approximately 50 business days from the monthly submittal deadline to the City Council public hearing and potential decision.
- Application fee is due at time of submittal
- See the Development Fee Schedule (PDF) for specific fees
- Payment types accepted: Cash, Discover, MasterCard, Visa and Check or Money Order payable to the City of High Point
- Online (ACA) payment types accepted: Cash, Discover, MasterCard, Visa and E-check