- Board Action
- Special Use
A special use is a use that may be appropriate in a zoning district, but because of its nature, extent, and external effects, requires special consideration of its location, design and methods of operation before it can be deemed appropriate in the district and compatible with its surroundings. The special use process provides a formal mechanism for this consideration.
Expected Processing Time
- A Pre-Application Conference is required within 3 months prior to making application for a special use.
Approvals or Permits Issued
- Issuance of a special use permit by the City Council
- The applicant submits an application, supplemental documents and fee.
- Applications are assigned a Case Manager to act as the point of contact and assist with managing it through the process.
- The applicant must hold a Citizen Information Meeting before the initial consideration of the application by the Planning and Zoning Commission, and provide a written summary of the meeting which is added to the application.
- Staff reviews the application and notifies the applicant of any deficiencies. Once deemed complete, a special use application is placed in review and scheduled for the next regular meeting of the Planning and Zoning Commission, if filed by the application deadline.
- Public notice of the application is provided by first class mailed notice, published notice and posted sign prior to the Planning and Zoning Commission public hearing and the City Council public hearing.
- A staff report is prepared and provided to the Planning and Zoning Commission.
- At the Planning and Zoning Commission public hearing, the Commission will hear from staff, the applicant and other members of the public who wish to speak on the matter.
- After the public hearing, the Planning and Zoning Commission will make a recommendation to the City Council to approve, approve with conditions, or deny the application.
- Following the City Council public hearing, the Council will approve, approve with conditions, or deny the special use. The applicant will receive written notice of the decision.
- Completed Special Use Application (PDF) submitted to the Planning and Development Department or online through Accela Citizen Access (ACA)
- Application fee
- Completed work sheet with offered conditions (if any).
- Conceptual site plan showing proposed development.
- Copy of the latest deed of record for all property.
- If submitting on ACA, attach a completed Board Action Application Signature Form (PDF).
- Application may need to include a Traffic Impact Analysis (TIA) (PDF) when required by City policy.
- If the location of the special use is within a Local Historic Overlay District, the application must be reviewed by the HPC prior to the Planning and Zoning Commission hearing.
Expected Processing Time
- Within 2 business days of receipt of an application the Planning & Development Department will determine whether an application is complete or incomplete.
- If the application is incomplete, then the applicant will be notified within those 2 business days with a written list of application deficiencies.
- If the application is complete, then it shall be considered submitted.
- Approximately 50 business days from the monthly submittal deadline to the City Council public hearing and potential decision.
- Application fee is due at time of submittal
- See the Development Fee Schedule (PDF) for specific fees
- Payment types accepted: Cash, Discover, MasterCard, Visa and Check or Money Order payable to the City of High Point
- Online (ACA) payment types accepted: Cash, Discover, MasterCard, Visa and E-check