Day Care Conference

Day cares are required to meet city and state requirements. A pre-application conference with the Planning and Development Department staff is recommended to discuss the processes and applicable requirements of the City's Development Ordinance that may affect the project.

This conference allows the staff to become familiar with the proposal and provide initial feedback and advice. And it allows staff to identify any potential "red flag" issues that might stand in the way of a successful project and discuss how to avoid or mitigate them.

Requesting a Conference

  • A pre-application conference is strongly encouraged prior to operating a day care in High Point.
  • Whenever a project is facing a time constrained deadline, a pre-application conference will assist in moving an application to approval in a timely manner.
  • There is no fee for the conference.

Scheduling a Conference

  • Contact the Development Services Center at 336-883-3151. 
  • State that you desire a pre-application conference and you will be assigned to an appropriate staff member. 
  • Provide the following information: Your name, phone number, e-mail address, the address of the property where the day care will be located, and whether the site is an existing day care or a new day care.

Preparing for the Meeting

  • At the initial meeting, be prepared to provide the following information:
    • How many adults or children will you serve?
    • What ages will you serve?
    • What will your hours of operation be?
    • A basic site plan for your site. The site plan should show the driveway(s), parking area(s), pick-up and drop-off area(s), buildings, and any outdoor area(s) with fencing type indicated.
    • A floor plan that shows a layout of the rooms and the use of each (i.e. classrooms, restrooms, kitchen area, storage area, etc.)

Meeting Guidance

  • During the meeting, staff will provide the following information:
    • The correct department within the N.C. Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) that you need to contact.
    • The type of City permits (if any) that are required
    • Determine the previous occupancy of the building and classify the new occupancy as either residential or commercial.