A Zoning Home Occupation Permit is used to establish a home occupation. A home occupation is one that is conducted entirely within a dwelling and is incidental and secondary to its residential use. The Development Ordinance establishes requirements for home occupations, which include:
- Only one person may be employed who is not an occupant of the residence
- Cannot occupy more than 25% of the gross floor area of the dwelling
- Only handmade items, foodstuffs, and crafts made in the dwelling may be offered for sale on the premises
- No outside storage or display of items
- No maintenance or repair of commercial equipment in the occupation
- One commercial vehicle and/or a trailer not exceeding 24 feet in length may stored on site
- One attached sign is allowed
- Activities cannot generate traffic, parking, noise, vibration, glare, fumes, odors, or electrical interference beyond what normally occurs in the district in which it is located
Approvals or Permits Issued
- Issuance of a Zoning Home Occupation Permit by the Development Services Center
- The permit lists all required inspections
- Completed Zoning Home Occupation Permit Application (PDF) submitted to the Development Services Center or online through Accela Citizen Access (ACA).
- Application fee
- A floor plan of the dwelling that identifies the percentage of gross floor area occupied by the home occupation
- The proposed home occupation must comply with the Development Ordinance regulations.
- Payment of required permit fee.
- Applicant is authorized to obtain the permit.
- Upon meeting all permit requirements, the applicant is entitled to a Zoning Home Occupation Permit.
- Projects are assigned a Case Manager to act as the point of contact and assist with managing the project through the permit review process.
- Application fee is due at time of submittal
- All permit fees are due at permit issuance
- See the Development Fee Schedule (PDF) for specific fees
- Payment types accepted: Cash, Discover, MasterCard, Visa and Check or Money Order payable to the City of High Point
- Online (ACA) payment types accepted: Cash, Discover, MasterCard, Visa and E-check